Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Nothing seems original anymore...

I thought I had this completely awesome and original idea for my first novel, but the more I outlined and gave life to my characters, the more it felt like something that had already been done before. I still want to write the story because I have already fallen in love with the idea, but I also want to write something that hasn't been written before (I guess that's what everyone says, right?). So I have decided I am going to scrap what I already have and start fresh. I'll still keep the basic idea (it's mostly the setting that I have my heart set on), and just change the story line. 

I'm starting to fear that there is not an original idea left in this world... it's ALL been done before... repeatedly! At least in the genre that I am interested in anyways, which is YA fantasy/dystopian/paranormal etc. It's such a played out genre, but it's what I love so I am determined to create something new and fresh. I'm just worried that my mind is being influenced by things that I have already read...

Maybe I'm just over-thinking it. Sometimes I am my own worst enemy (cliche, I know. But let's face it, what isn't a cliche anymore?).

~A


No comments:

Post a Comment